- This event has passed.
The Deliberate Dialogue: A method for facilitating effective conversation with a parent and child about potentially stressful topics
September 26, 2023 @ 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
One of the main jobs of a family therapist is to help members of the family to talk to each other in a constructive way about stressful topics. But many clients who have intense feelings, have had traumatic histories, or who have big problems in the family make this goal difficult. Therapists need a structured format, a “road map” for facilitating these tricky conversations. For example:
In these situations, it is very helpful to use the deliberate dialogue to help children and parents talk about their troubles in a safe way. The deliberate dialogue is inspired by techniques from dyadic developmental psychotherapy (DDP).
In this workshop, you will learn to:
- Use the Deliberate Dialogue to structure a productive conversation between child and parent
- Guiding parents to stay accepting and empathic in the Deliberate Dialogue
- Use the PACE (Playful Accepting Curious and Empathic) Attitude to discover what is truly bothering the child underneath
- What to do with a child who says “I don’t know” or won’t use words to answer your questions
- Find ways “talk about” and “talk for” a child to help deepen connection and understanding between parent and child.